Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Secret Lives of Daytime

Yesterday was a a beautiful day. I walked Jeffrey to school. We held hands and talked about the worms that were everywhere, squirming in the puddles. Then I went out to breakfast with 2 of the gals from the sub, at a charming place in the village called "Victoria's Delights." I had my favorite, french toast. We used a coupon. I can't even think of when I have ever gone out to breakfast, unless I can count airports. We "lingered over coffee" and ended up spending 2 hours in there. Lingered!!! But the conversation was productive. We scheduled the subdivision garage sale, came up with a plan for the Association board elections and shared many good thoughts and ideas. Oh! And I found out where to buy a replacement head for my sponge mop.

Back at home I could hear a great commotion coming from the lake, so I went out to the dock and there were these 2 geese standing atop a mound of sticks honking and growling and thrashing their heads around. And another pair of geese was swimming nearby and answered them. Then they traded places and started the whole conversation over again. It was something to see and I just sat there quietly observing the whole thing. I have also been watching the Cranes. (which are giant birds, NOT a neighbors last name) I got to see them do their Special Dance of Springtime and I felt a little embarrassed for watching but it really was neat.
A nice lady came to the door and handed me a religious pamphlet. She wasn't hard to get rid of at all but that could have had something to do with the frightening aftermath of my Exercise Every Day objective.

And, I made the Gang Gai for dinner. I think it turned out just great, although when I make it again I will try to use more brown sugar and less green curry paste. It was a little spicy for the boys. I noticed that Larry's face turned an unusual shade of bright red but he said it was good. Of course he'd be a fool to say anything other than that if he hopes to keep this Learn to Cook thing going. Jeffrey used his Everyday Math skills figure out the cost for the meal was $8.59 for the four of us. That's reasonable but we did amortize the cost of the green curry paste assuming that I'll use it again, so I will. I'll try to make any recipes you want to send me, but we have to avoid eggs, milk, cheese, peanuts, cashews and msg due to allergies.


I'm looking forward to the days ahead. Thursday I chaperon a beach party at the middle school and Friday I decorate the elementary school for the spring fair. It has a medieval theme and I used my Calligraphy skills to make banner signs. Next we fashion a giant castle out of cardboard.


I moved some leaves and found a crocus blooming. Almost missed it. Here's a picture:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aunt Kathy's favorite Sweet-Sour Pineapple Sauce!
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 TBSP cornstarch
1/2 cup orange juice
1 TBSP cider vinegar
1 TBSP ketchup
1 can (8 oz. ) pineapple tidbits in juice, undrained
2 TBSP chopped green onion
Combine brown sugar & cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Gradually add OJ & stir till smooth. Add vinegar, ketchup, & pineapple. Cook & stir over medium heat till thickened. Stir in onion. Serve over anything, ham is good.