Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Just Peachy




Today my mom took the grandchildren out to a farm in Armada to go peach picking. They loved it because they got to climb up in trees. I'm glad that they get to do so many fun things while I am at work. The only problem with this one is that they brought home a huge bag of fresh peaches. I happen to know that peaches don't keep very long, and these were kind of small and of varying ripeness.










So we made peach pie! It was a lot of work and a huge mess, but it came out good looking and tasty! I sprinkled extra sugar on the crust, which made it sparkly.










Nancy put a link to a recipe in the comments, but it was incomplete. I typed in "Peaches stuffed with" and came up with this recipe:




Peaches Stuffed with Amaretti Cookies
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Show:
Everyday Italian
Episode:
Lavish Leftovers

1 1/2 ounces amaretti cookies (about 12 small cookies) 3 ripe, firm peaches (about 5 ounces each), halved and pitted 3 teaspoons sugar (1/2 teaspoon per peach half) 3 teaspoons unsalted butter (1/2 teaspoon per peach half) 2 cups fresh whipped cream
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter the bottom of an 8-inch baking dish and set aside.
Using a melon baller, clean out the red flesh from the center of each peach. Arrange the peaches cut side up in the prepared dish. In the bowl of a food processor, add the amaretti cookies and pulse until finely crumbled. Divide the amaretti crumbs between the peaches. Fill the center of each peach with the amaretti cookie crumbs. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of sugar over each. Dot each peach with 1/2 teaspoon of butter.
Bake until the peaches are tender and the filling is crisp on top, about 30 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream.
***************************************



Except we don't happen to keep amaretti cookies on hand. I'm not even sure what they are, but if they are the almond-flavored Italian cookies I'm thinking of, I would not put them in a food processor to add to a piece of FRUIT. I would just eat them up. So I looked around for what we did have on the cookie shelf and came up with Graham crackers. Then I had an even better idea to skip that dragging out the food processor step and found a box of Graham Cracker Crumbs! How long has that been in there? I think they came out pretty good. Here's a picture of my creation:



Thanks, Nancy!





2 comments:

Nancy USA said...

Two tips:

Use those "greenie bags"! They really work! All fruits and veggies last a LONG time in them just like the tv ads say!

2nd: here is a great and EASY recipe
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/peaches-stuffed-with
From my favorite Food Network chef: giada de laurentiis

Let me know if you try it. She also has a recipe for grilling peaches!

N.

Cora said...

Isn't it the best feeling to use up things that have been sitting in the cupboard/fridge/freezers for ages??!

Mike just recently stewed some overripe peaches and plums. I don't see them around, so I'm assuming they tasted good.